Search This Blog

Thursday 8 September 2011

The strange case of the missing “Test Coins”: A bad experience with booking of commemorative coins at the Kolkata mint.


The mystery of the missing “Test coins” :
A bad experience with booking of commemorative coins at the Kolkata mint

As I had become an active coin collector recently and taken up coin collection as a serious hobby about a year ago (as mentioned in my profile), I also registered myself on the website of Securities Printing and Minting Corporation of India Ltd. (SPMCIL). On 3rd March 2011, while browsing through the joint websites of Kolkata and Mumbai mints, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Games Test coins, both in the Proof and Uncirculated varieties were being booked by the Kolkata mint, at the unbelievable rate of Rs.20/-each and the booking was going off-line in a couple of hours. I thought, what luck, and booked five of these coins for a price of Rs.100/- together with Rs.2,27 (total cost Rs.102.27)as credit card payment gateway charges on 3rd March 2011.
I immediately received an automated email from the SPMCIL Coin Booking Committee/Team advising me that,my transaction was a success and that the coins would be delivered to me within 6 months from date of close of booking (in this case booking closed on 3rd March 2011 itself, therefore the outside date for delivery of the coins was 03.09.2011). 


Upon checking the status of my order on the tracking system of SPMCIL ,I was surprised to find ,that, the booking showed correctly on the “Track you order” facility of the website, but, after a couple of weeks , it was mentioned that there was no such order.
I, accordingly, wrote to Kolkata mint on their email 'calmint@spmcil.com' several times but did not get any response. I even took up the matter with SPMCIL website email 'info@spmcil.com' but did not receive any information either. I have even sent a Speedpost message to General Manager, Kolkata mint, on 26.08.11 which was delivered to the mint on 29th August 2011, but I have received no acknowledgement of the same so far either physically or by email. (so much for customer service at the Kolkata mint).

 Now six months have elapsed and the coins have still not been delivered to me, and I am apprehensive that my coins have either been misappropriated by someone or the funds paid by me have been unauthorisedly accounted for at the mint.

As I have booked several other orders with Kolkata mint for subsequent Commemorative programmes viz: Rabindranath Tagore, Mother Teresa, Commonwealth Games and Louis Braille Proof coins, I wonder whether these will also be delivered or not – already four and a half months have passed from the date of close of booking of these coins on 30th April 2011.

 I am, apprehensive as to whether there is any fraudulent activity/gross negligence at the Kolkata mint in regard to commemorative coins issue and distribution to genuine customers. 

I have presently taken up the matter with the Chief Vigilance Officer on the SPMCIL website for investigation into the matter, whether a vigilance angle is detected or whether I have been a victim of just plain inefficiency/negligence at the Kolkata mint.

Although the amount involved is not very high, I am treating this whole matter as a “test case” as to  whether I will ever get my Games “Test Coins” from the Kolkata mint or not.

Contrast this with the efficiency of the US Mint, with whom I had booked coin sets under the “US Past Presidents Programme” and “America and the Beautiful Quarters Programme” and received the coins within two weeks of the booking.
Imagine coin orders booked from across the World reaching me in two weeks, and here we have the Kolkata mint which is not even having the courtesy of replying to my emails/Speedpost message.

In case any Guest/visitor has had a similar experience with SPMCIL coin mints /other units of SPMCIL, you are welcome to share your experience on this blog.

Posted on 06.01.2012
A Note on the first hand experience of “Customer Relations” of the India Government Mint Kolkata  and how the mystery of the missing “Test coins” was solved after several rounds of correspondence initiated by me to several officials at IGM, Kolkata/SPMCIL, New Delhi:

After my voluminous correspondence with the Public Information Officer, Appellate Authority (under RTI Act) and General Manager, IGM Kolkata  (as Appellate Authority under RTI Act),as well as Chief Vigilance Officer ,SPMCIL, New Delhi , the following interesting information and insight into the “concern” for Commemorative coin buyers/customers has been gathered by me.  I am sharing this on this blog, so that more of us become aware of the position obtaining at the Mint in regard to customer service and deliveries of booked coins.

A)     What the Public Information Officer said:

1)      In regard to the delay in the delivery of Booked Commemorative coins (apart from the “Test Coins”, after the stipulated period of six months had lapsed as well as the revised delivery schedule of the booked coins :
“We have received a very high unexpected booking this time and it took three months to only make the entry in our systems and this is the sole reason for the delay”.

My observation:
 a)What happened during the next three months?

b) If the said delay was for reasons  “beyond the control” of Mint officials, then what prevented them from mentioning the reasons for the said delay on their official website/intimation to individual customers, as their email addresses were available with the IGM Kolkata.

c) What happened to the IGM Kolkata’s clause in their Booking Advertisement for Commemorative coins (on Rabindranath Tagore, Mother Teresa, Commonwealth Games and Louis Braille) for bookings which opened on 22.03.2011 and closed on 30.04.2011 wherein it was mentioned that “the status of the Booking can be viewed on website after 31st May 2011?”

The PIO has “clarified” in this regard that “we are in the process of developing our website where customers can view their booking status”.
 There is clearly a variance between what was advertised and what is actually happening at the IGM Kolkata!! A clear case of the Advertisement which has “claimed” that the “Booking status” can be viewed after 31.05.2011 has been proved to be inaccurate by its own officials, as well as giving a misleading position to the customers.

2)      In regard to “revised” delivery schedule for my 5 booked Orders i.e. Louis Braille, Rabindranath Tagore, Mother Teresa, XIX  Commonwealth Games since the stipulated delivery schedule had lapsed already:
 “We are in the process of dispatching the web booking coins shortly”.

My observation:
The PIO’s communication was dated 29.11.2011(more than a month after scheduled period for replying to RTI communications) and he was not aware that based on my complaints the Chief Vigilance Officer, SPMCIL, New Delhi, four of my booked coins had been dispatched on 04.11.2011 itself, and the 5th Order was in the pipeline for delivery. So much for information sharing /collation at the IGM Kolkata. There seems to be no proper process for keeping the PIO properly informed!!

3)      In regard to my query that the delivery of the “Test coins” booked on 03.03.2011, the stipulated delivery period of six months had expired and that , as my “Test coins” had still not been delivered, to let me know the revised delivery schedule for the said coins.

“No Booking was open on the date i.e. 03.03.2011 given by you”.

My observation:
Then, how did I receive the confirmation of the “successful booking” order of five test coins on my email address. Also, how was my credit card debited by Rs.102.27 on 03.03.2011, with the money having been credited to the SPMCIL, New Delhi account? The PIO made no effort to elaborate this aspect, although I had sent photocopies of the “evidences” to him.

B)      What the Officer (Marketing) said, who signed all communications to me on behalf of the General Manager, IGM, Kolkata,
1)      In regard to the status obtaining on my “missingTest coins”:

“It has been verified and found that there was no booking open on the date i.e. 03.03.2011 as given by you. Hence it is difficult to inform you about the status of the Order (No.) as given by you”

My observation:
Difficult to inform or simply do not care to check up as to how the debit of Rs.102.27 to my credit card account took place as also, where did my money go? Also, when I had pointed out the matter with proper evidences, he did not investigate the reasons for ” the mix-up”. (Excellent customer service indeed!!!).

2)      Upon my taking up the matter with the Chief Vigilance Officer, SPMCIL, New Delhi, inter alia on the following points:
a)      That I suspected either gross negligence or collusion of officials of the IGM Kolkata, particularly their reluctance to let me know the fate of my booked “Test coins” or the end-use of my Rs.102.27 paid by debit to my credit card, to defraud genuine customers which needed investigation.
b)      To ensure that a fool-proof inter-active system is placed on-line on their website to facilitate customers, the following “detailed” response came from the Officer (Marketing):

Regarding 2 (a) vide Officer (Marketing)’s letter dated 21.12.2011:“You are informed that this mint had developed some new features on its official website www. igmkolkata. spmcil.com and for checking purpose about the proper working of the same on 03.03.2011, we placed a dummy advertisement named as “ test coins booking” which was appearing only for 3-4 hours. Further these testing was only for mint officials however which was wrongly interpreted by you.
2. In the same regard Rs.100/- (Rupees one hundred) was deducted from your credit card and was received in account of this mint which will be returned to you through cheque within 05.01.2012.”
My observation:
a)      Why did the Officer (Marketing) not investigate the matter/ mix-up at their end in the first place and wait for the matter to be escalated to higher authorities?
b)      In fact, a cheque of Rs.100/- was posted by the Officer(Marketing) on 24.12.2011 only and received by me 3 days later by courier. However, notice, that there is no word of regret for the inconvenience caused to me because the mint officials had not put up a caution on the “dummy test advertisement” that it was an internal exercise and customers should not book online.
c)       What prevented the mint officials to refund all such bookings which had gone through due to their fault immediately, say within a week or so of such bookings? Possibly, more customers like me may have booked, whose amounts could still be lying at SPMCIL accounts?
d)      What about the credit card payment gateway charges of Rs.2.27 which has not been refunded by the Kolkata mint due to their error? While this is a small amount, a customer booking several more coins would stand to lose a substantial amount.

The "fool-proof" interactive system which has been put in place by IGM Kolkata :
In a recent Advertisement released by IGM Kolkata (No. IGMK.ADVT/3 dated 03.01.2012 for Booking Proof and Uncirculated coin sets on “Income Tax – 150 years of Building India (1860-2010)", the following “improvements” have been put in place :
a)      “Status of booking can be viewed on website after three months of close of booking date.” (earlier it used to be one month after close of booking). This indicates a sincere attempt on the part of mint officials to process the received applications within say, three months time and, then, inform the customers online regarding the status of coin bookings/deliveries within a reasonable time thereafter. Let us see how things go.

b)      The period of delivery now is “Within 8(eight) months from close of booking which may vary as per quantity of booking received”. (Earlier it used to be within six months. Now there is a possibility that the period may go beyond eight months in case Kolkata mint has not been able to process the applications). However, at least now we (the customers) have the information regarding delivery schedules ab initio and we do not start worrying about the fate of our coin orders after the six month period had lapsed, as in the earlier cases.

c)       "No query will be entertained after one year of close of booking date i.e. 20.02.2012". (So, the window for making enquiries after the lapse of the stipulated eight month period ending 31.10.2012 is only four months after which the non-delivery of coins, if any, cannot be technically questioned).However, on the flip side, this, also  appears to be a "self-imposed" time-bound restriction on the part of the Mint officials to try and effect the deliveries within the earliest possible time .

d) A new email address igmkspmcil@gmail.com has been advertised, indicating that, perhaps, customer queries/concerns may be responded to by a dedicated staff and not go unresponded like in the earlier cases. 

d) A "one-day Workshop for better service to be provided to our sincere customers" is being conducted by the Curator, IGM Kolkata on 7th February 2012 for which applications are being received from interested customers (particularly the regular ones being given a preference) who wish to participate in the Workshop, being received till 17.01.2012. 
   This appears to be a positive development which shows the IGM Kolkata's concern for keeping the customers informed about their procedures/schedules for effecting commemorative coin deliveries, and thereby restoring customer confidence .
   However, as this Workshop will be held in Kolkata, I hope that the minutes will be put up on the IGM Kolkata website, so that all of us can read the outcome thereof.

 In any case, more transparency in interactions with customers and information-sharing seems to have been put in place at the IGM Kolkata, which is a welcome step.

   Posted on 22.01.2012:

   Today I have come across another advertisement from IGM Kolkata, as part of their customer service improvement measures, wherein it is mentioned that from January 24th 2012 onwards, commemorative coin sets will be available across the counter on an on-going basis on various themes depending on availability, five days a week. This is indeed an excellent initiative, which I believe is a first for any Indian Mint and one which other mints which book Commemorative coins could also emulate.

   Posted on 03.07.2012: 

   I have received my Proof  set of coins issued to commemorate 150 years of existence of the Income Tax Department, booked at the Kolkata Mint, within four months of booking which is an excellent delivery schedule indeed. This shows that the measures taken at The Kolkata Mint to improve their customer service/relations are indeed having a positive effect.






25 comments:

  1. I am also waiting for Rabindranath Tagore 150 Rs coins set. Ordered on 29 april 2011. Today us 13th Oct 2011. not received

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too never received the coins from kolkata mint on time.
      Last time they said that the address was not updated. This is wrong as the address is common on the SPMCIL website and i can see the same while tracking the order.
      Took 2 further months to recieve the coins.

      Now the latest order worth 36k ordered in 5/13 is pending for 7 months without any information.

      any idea anyone on whom to contact except the email addresses given everywhere?

      Delete
    2. I am rather shocked to learn that you are facing this nightmare and have not received your coins even after so many months, although I believe that Kolkata Mint services had improved drastically after the above mentioned initiatives. . I have a telephone number with me which is supposed to enquiries in booking 033-24010132 which had been advised to me by the Public Information Officer (RTI). You could also email them on igmkspmcil@gmail.com and mark the communication "Attention: Mr. Ritesh Pal, Officer (Marketing)". Usually, Mr. Pal is extremely helpful and is known to take swift action in similar cases. In case, you have still not got a proper response, say in about a week/10 days, then, please write to me at my email address given under the "About me" section in the right margin on the blog and we will start some more stringent initiatives.

      Delete
  2. I have since taken up the matter with CVO SPMCIL to have the matter investigated, but they have also not updated their complaint section regarding whether the matter has been taken up or not for investigation. My total investment in Games Test coins, Rabindranath Tagore coins, Mother Teresa coins , Commonwealth games coins and Louis Braille coins is more than Rs.12,000/-. No one replies on the email at Kolkata Mint. Also my Speedpost letters have gone unanswered. I have now sought information about delivery of my coins under Right to Information Act which communication has been delivered to the Public Information Officer, Kolkata mint on 22nd Sept. 2011. The lack of courtesy/transparency on the part of officials regarding information on coin bookings ia simply appalling. If I do not receive any information under Right to Info.Act or delivery of my coins till 31.10.2011, I plan to take up the matter with the Central Vigilance Commission as well as the Central Information Commission. Today I noticed another strange thing. The member's login section has been revamped and it is denying me access to check out whether my coin booking orders are still being shown online or have simply vanished into thin air like my Test coin bookings. Now I have no means of knowing this either. Also without delivering the earlier coins to anyone, the General Manager Kolkata mint has taken out an advt. recently for fresh bookings og Rabindranath Tagore coins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two complaints to the CVO, SPMCIL have been closed without any communication or information regarding delivery of my coins from any source/Kolkata mint. Also no information has been received from the Public Information Officer, Kolkata Mint on my queries regarding the status of delivery of my coins, although the stipulated period of one month for replying to queries under the RTI Act 2005 would be over on 22.10.11.Does this indicate a scam at the SPMCIL/Kolkata mint orsimply a cover-up of extreme inefficiency prevailing at the India Government Mint, Kolkata at the expense of the genuine customers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. After lodging complaints with the Appellate Authority under the RTI Act and taking the complaint to the next level, i.e. the Central Vigilance Commission, I have received four coin orders (Proof coin sets on Rabindra Nath Tagore,Mother Teresa, Commonwealth Games and one coin on Louis Braille). I have also received a letter today from IGM Kolkata, informing me that one Louis Braille coin which is still outstanding is under process and would be mailed to me shortly. However, I have still not heard anything on the "missing test coins" .I am taking up further correspondence in the matter with General Manager, IGM Kolkata on the subject and will update the status on this post. I wonder how many of us who booked these commemorative coins, have received their coins without going through this tedious procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the case of the "missing Test Coins",I have now received a "strange' communication from the Officer (Marketing) IGM Kolkata signed on behalf of General Manager mentioning that "it has been verified and found that there was no booking open on the date i.e. 03.03.2011 as given by you. Hence it is difficult to inform you about the status of your Order". Really surprising, is'nt it, considering that the Order has been booked by me on the IGM Kolkata website on 03.03.2011, my credit card account has been debited by Rs. 102.37 on the same day, I have been given a Transaction number by IGM Kolkata website, and I have received an automated email from the SPMCIL Booking Committee confirming that my order has been successfully booked. Now, I am taking up once again with the General Manager IGM Kolkata presenting him with the facts, although his communication indicates his unwillingness/helplessness to help me in the matter and also requesting the Chief Vigilance Officer, SPMCIL to re-investigate this matter as to how could "fraudulent /unauthorised bookings" take place on the official site of the IGM Kolkata, (unless there is insider collusion at some level?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Similar Test Coin booking is on at Hyderabad Mint website 30.11.2011, check out pls.
    As i did not remember my login id - i did not check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked up the official website of SPMCIL to check out the Test coins booking under Hyderabad mint section, but it said "No Product found". Another one of the "mysterious ways" in which our Indian mints conduct their Coin Bookings and deliveries, perhaps? Also, almost a month has passed since the Kolkata mint had mailed me the four coin bookings which I had received earlier (after a lot of correspondence, requesting CVO SPMCIL to conduct an investigation from the Vigilance angle), but my remaining Louis Braille (Proof coin has still not come, which they had promised to deliver "as soon as possible" ( even after 8 months from date of booking). I am now awaiting action by the CVO SPMCIL and General Manager Kolkata mint on my communications containing evidences that my "Test coin" bookings have actually taken place on 03.03.2011 and the coins should be delivered to me or whether I have been a victim of some fraudulent activity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today my remaining Order of Louis Braille two rupee Proof coin has been received after my further complaints to CVO, SPMCIL and General Manager, IGM Kolkata. Also, I have been advised under the RTI Act 2005 by IGM Kolkata, inter alia, that, there was no booking open for “Test coins” on 03.03.11. My complaint, requesting CVO, SPMCIL for a comprehensive investigation into the matter as to how my coin booking was done online on 03.03.11( based on all the evidences available with me) and what happened to my Rs.100/- (plus credit card charges), which was paid by my Credit card Company to SPMCIL ,Delhi on 03.03.2011, is still active.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Facing the same problem, have booked coin sets in April 2011 and still waiting for their 6 months to complete. Can anyone tell me which calendar do they follow?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello "coins and more" can you send me details where to lodge complain under RTI act also contact of GM kolkata or any other source to complain.(emails, phone no. address etc>.)
    I have still not receive my Rabindranath proof and UNC set booked on 29 APr.2011
    Pls send me to my email sampt49@yahoo.com.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have today sent you a message through my email mentioned on my profile. I hope the information contained therein will be found useful and you will get your RNT coins soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI i have proof and unc set contact on spdctc@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I received a the proof and unc set of 150 years of the income tax, but the patina on the unc coin is damaged. I immediately sent an email to the kolkatta mint, followed by two reminders. no response or even an acknowledgment. i have couriered my complaint to the chairman and md yesterday. will wait to take further action if i get no response in 15 days. the courier package i received the coins, the folder and the coin capsule are in order - hence a damaged coin was packed and sent ! i recently read an article that spmcil was now a profitable organisation - guess at our costs. being a public limited company - we the collectors are not just the inbestors, but also the customers and it is a sad state as to how we are treated. wish me the best. RSamtani

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shocked to know about your experience. Seems the archaic processes and indifferences of personnel at the Govt. mints are still very much in place, barring for a few individual efforts. Please keep us posted with updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got an immediate response from Kolkata Mint asking me to send the coin back for them to examine. If found damaged they would replace it. I sent it on July 19 - delivered to them on July 27 (as per the local post office). No word from them as yet. Will courier a letter if I do not hear or receive the replacement in a weeks time. Will keep you posted - on this matter.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the update. Hopefully, the matter will get resolved in this month, now that the Top Management is aware of the situation. Will wait for your next update. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update - received the replacement coin from Kolkata Mint this afternoon. Renews my faith that there are people who try to their best within what the system. Thanks to the marketing officer at the Kolkata Mint.

      I have a query - when the mumbai mint sends coins do they include an official invoice ?

      Delete
  16. Coins available across the counter.

    I must say it is a positive step and in the right direction, but I would request SPMCIL management to look into two important aspects:

    1. As one has to personally go to purchase the coins, collectors living outside of the metros have no access to this facility without incurring costs to travel to Mumbai or Kolkata.

    Hope they intend to open similar counters in other centres for mere mortals living in smaller towns.

    2. Payment is by credit card or demand draft. How does one make a demand draft, if the prices and stock available are not published on a daily basis?

    It really means that one has to first go - find out what is available and at what price. Rush and get a demand draft made within two hours and hope that when he/she gets back the item is still available !!

    I am sure in due course they will come up with a solution. The initiative is great, but the wrinkles need to be sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great to get the update and quite a relief that your coin set has been replaced. You are right.It is the marketing officer's at the Kolkata mint's personal initiative that is bringing about changes in the archaic processes of the Kolkata Mint even though there are some teething troubles. Your point about the across the counter sales is very valid, something which I too had noticed.I have written to the SPMCIL,CMD that while these initial steps are fine, the Indian Mints with all the technology at their disposal can also emulate the US Mint or the Royal Mint, U.K. where commemorative coins bookings are met with outstation/International deliveries within 2/3 weeks on a continuous basis and popular coins are continuously minted for a great length of time.
    Further, it seems that although the coins booking is being done under the umbrella of SPMCIL website, all the Mumbai Mint is following its own coin booking procedures. Their Coin Booking confirmations while stating that the booking amount has been received do not state which coin set has been paid for. Also, now it is the turn of the Hyderabad Mint which has not delivered my several proof set coin bookings promised to be "delivered within 6 months" (ending 31st August 2012). Have written to the Hyderabad Mint who although were very prompt in replying in July 2012 that the "coin deliveries will start in the second week of August", have gone silent thereafter and are not responding to my communications. Perhaps, we may have to start another initiative against the Hyderabad Mint to make them improve their delivery systems and efficiency!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks.

      I too am waiting for coins from Hyderabad !! To draw a parallel - the General Post Office Philatelic Bureau quite efficiently dispatches mint stamps and other philatelic material to its members. I am sure SPMCIL can follow the system by the postal authorities.

      Another issue, which I raised with the Mumbai Mint was regarding new issues of regular and regular commemorative coins. I see no reason why we cannot order the same, albeit in small batches, rather than watching dealers asking exorbitant prices for new circulation coins. Their response was that regular circulation coins should be obtained from RBI Treasury Chests in various cities - I tried once and met with no success.

      Delete
  18. Hyderabad Mint have since advised that the despatch of booked coins has since commenced and that we should expect delivery of our coins within a month's time. Will revert on receipt of the same.
    I entirely agree with you. Mints all across the World, issue circulating commemorative coins for a small premium ,in addition to uncirculated and Proof ones for collectors. Perhaps at a later date, SPMCIL could adopt this mechanism as well for the benefit of collectors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Today I have received one Order of four coins from Hyderabad mint. Another one of five coins is still awaited. No covering letter was enclosed. The coin covers also do not indicate whether these coins are Proof, Uncirculated or circulated pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Today I have received the second Order of Commemorative coins from Hyderabad Mint.

    ReplyDelete